LTB 043/24 – Heart Month – February 2024
Our Ref: C1/24
To: All Branches
Heart Month – February 2024
In the UK, someone dies from a heart or circulatory condition every three minutes.
Whether it’s losing a loved one, family member, friend or colleague, to sudden cardiac arrest or coping with the devastating impact of heart failure, far too many people have felt the pain of heart and circulatory conditions. But during February’s ‘Heart Month’ with help and support from as many people as possible, organisers of Heart Month, the British Heart Foundation (BHF) hope that together we can collectively give more hearts a chance.
Heart Month 2024 is an annual observance dedicated to raising awareness about heart health and cardiovascular diseases and more recently campaigning on CPR and Defibrillators with their ‘RevirR’ tool and on-line training for all.
Effective use of a CPR and a defibrillator can more than double the chances of survival after a cardiac arrest. People can learn how to give ‘life- saving’ CPR and how to use a defibrillator in just 15 minutes with ‘RevirR -a free easy to use digital tracking tool.’ People can complete it at home and all that’s needed is a mobile phone and a cushion to practice on.
CPR and Defibrillators: how to save a life (‘RevirR’)
A cardiac arrest is when a person’s heart suddenly stops pumping blood around the body. CPR keeps the blood pumping while help arrives and a defibrillator gives an electric shock to restore the heart’s normal rhythm. Cardiac arrests can happen to anyone at any time.
The BHF resources here can be used to learn how to do lifesaving CPR and how to use a defibrillator in an emergency.
Link to this excellent Webpage is: – https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/how-to-save-a-life
Subject matter covered is:
On the special British Heart Foundation (BHF) Webpage that’s been specially designed and set, anyone can now learn how to do CPR.
- Read a step-by-step guide to CPR and learn how to do CPR quickly using these simple instructions.
- Complete the Free interactive CPR training on-line and Learn CPR at home in 15 minutes using just a cushion and a mobile phone or tablet.
Here People can:
- Learn about defibrillators and read about what defibrillators are, how to use them and why they’re so important.
- Find a defibrillator near you by searching the BHF’s national directory to see where your nearest defibrillator is located.
- Learn about the BHF’s defibrillator funding programme for community groups to apply for a fully-funded defibrillator.
Teach others how to do CPR:
Here People can:
- Access Free training resources – for teaching CPR. These can be used in workplaces, communities, schools and organisations. This covers how CPR and defibrillators work together. When somebody is in cardiac arrest, using CPR and a defibrillator together gives them the best chance of survival.
Learn all about Cardiac arrests and how to help a victim of cardiac arrest at: https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/how-to-save-a-life
- BHF Heart Attack Quick Guide.
- BHF Health and Work Factsheet and Information Sheet.
Royal Mail Group will be supporting Heart Month and communications will carry the attached ‘footer’ message.
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer