What is the CWU?
The Communication Workers Union is the biggest union for the communications industry in the UK with 193,572 members.
We represent members in postal, telecom, mobile, administrative and financial companies so that’s companies like Royal Mail Group, UK Mail and BT, Telefonica O2, Virgin Media, EE and Santander and Capita.
Our members’ include engineers, mechanics, drivers and people who work in computing, clerical, retail, financial, call centres and manual skills.
We also offer our members extra benefits, such as free legal advice, a free will-writing service, and discounted motor, home and travel insurance, discounts for things like travel, shopping and insurance, cashback on stuff you buy online, theme park tickets, gym discounts plus a death in service benefit of around £700.
We are a campaigning union and work hard to get your voice heard on a variety of subjects such as fair pay, pensions, fair terms and conditions, health and safety, equal opportunities and politics.
We are affiliated to the TUC.
Our strength comes from working and campaigning together.
The CWU’s statement of values
- To provide first class collective and individual representation for all CWU members;
- To achieve security of employment for all members;
- To offer individual membership services of the highest quality;
- To expand trade union membership throughout the communications industry;
- To promote the success of the industries in which our members work;
- To campaign against all forms of discrimination
- To further these objectives by promoting the influence of the union throughout the national and international community.